Industry 4.0 refers to the merging of digitalization with traditional industrial processes. With Industry 4.0, production can be elevated by completely digitizing a factory. And so, the result of Industry 4.0 is ultimately a smart or digital factory, in which all components – machines, people, tools and resources – are accessible, transparent and able to communicate with one other in real time.
What is a Digital Factory?
The digital factory refers to the process in which a complex network of digital tools and methods are embedded through integrated data management. In layman’s terms, digital factory refers to the process of utilizing digital technology to enhance the manufacturing and production process. The prime goal of implementing a digital factory is to ensure continuous improvement, and thus, the focus remains on the following points:
- Create and maintain transparency in communication
- Improve planning and efficiency in the factory
- Reduce any downtime in production
- A central platform for knowledge management
Why Do Manufacturers Digitize Their Factories?
Digitization amplifies productivity instantaneously, allowing manufacturers to work faster and better. Tight deadlines that were once stressful can now be executed smoothly without any delays. This also means that manufacturers can quickly update their teams if there are any issues on the factory floor and guarantee the issue will be taken care of promptly.
Furthermore, with the power of real-time data and actionable insights, workers can now constructively analyse the production process and optimize their results. This aspect of a digital factory is a critical component to manufacturers – empowering them to leverage data, solve issues effortlessly and enhance the overall operational excellence in their factories.
Be proactive. Be productive.
Learn How to Increase Your Factory Productivity by 25%Get eBook
What are the Benefits of a Digital Factory Software?
Transforming a traditional-based factory into a digital manufacturing powerhouse has many advantages.
Here are three main benefits of integrating a digital factory software:
- Reduce costs – by implementing smart technology, factories are able to better understand issues such as inventory, supply chain, status of delivery, etc. This new level of transparency helps eliminate risks and decreases costs related overproduction, default products, and more.
- Increase operational efficiency – traditional factories rely on manual processes, which are timely and are prone to human error. When a factory implements automated, real-time solutions it enhances decision-making capabilities, reduces errors, delivers data instantly, and delivers to the market faster.
- Improve customer satisfaction – without digital manufacturing, products are more likely to be delayed, lost, or defected. Digital manufacturing can help keep your factory in order and make your customers happy by monitoring every product in real time.