What Is Machine Monitoring?
Machine Monitoring in manufacturing is the method of applying advanced technology in the factory in order to collect and analyze data from machines. The process of machine monitoring consists of collecting data from machines, transferring data to the cloud, and then analyzing the data to improve performance. The best way for manufacturers to optimize their factory production is to apply machine monitoring OEE in order to identify areas for improvement.
Manufacturers often accumulate data through machine monitoring system to collect one of the following metrics:
- Machine status
- Machine downtime
- Control quality
- Operator effectiveness
How Does Machine Monitoring Work?
- Integrate to machine – begin by connecting any and all machines in the factory to the machine monitoring system, which requires a simple implementation.
- Transfer data – once completing the first step, data will automatically run through the machines to the cloud in real time
- Collect data – this real-time data is crucial for operators and manufacturers, and can be easily accessed, anywhere and at any time.
- Analyze data – now you can make better, data-informed decisions with a clear view of historical reporting, job scheduling, machine status, and more.
- Enhance production – analyzing machine performance and making informed decisions based on real-time data can improve cycle times, reduce machine downtime, limit maintenance, and much more, resulting in increased production and operational efficiencies.
What Are the Advantages of Machine Monitoring?
Machine monitoring transforms traditional data into real-time actionable insights and provides manufacturers with data-driven decisions. Here are some of the many benefits of tracking machine efficiency in your factory:
- Real-time automated data – when automating data collection, manufacturers have the ability to cut cost and time that would usually be dedicated to a manual collections process. Furthermore, they’re able to gain actionable insights into each level of the production process.
- Greater transparency – machine data collection gives manufacturers exactly the data they need in order to analyze and then optimize production. OEE machine monitoring analytics, for example, empowers manufacturers with a clear view of how effectively the operations are running.
- Accurate reporting – simple, accessible, and correct reporting is crucial for optimizing production processes. Machine monitoring captures all the data you need and stores it in one centralized platform, making it easier for manufacturers to access and analyze reports. Machine monitoring allows operators to track machine downtime, balance production, and calculate crucial manufacturing KPIs such as machine availability, utilization, OEE, and more. CNC machine monitoring, for example, is especially useful as CNC production is often difficult to measure.
- Eliminate manual reporting – capturing data in real-time isn’t just useful for actionable insights, it also reduces time and cuts costs of traditional, manual reporting.